The 4th Annual Forum of the EU Strategy for the Danube Region (EUSDR), jointly organised by the European Commission, the State of Baden-Württemberg and the City of Ulm, will take place at the Trade Fair Ulm on 29 and 30 October 2015. For the EUSDR, it is the most important event of the year with around 1000 guests that are expected. The title of this year’s forum is "Smart, social, sustainable - Innovation for the Danube Region".
The ICPDR organises some activities and contributes to others. These include in particular the following:
- Workshop “Setting water management priorities until 2021 – The Danube River Basin Management Plan 2015”: expect lively discussions on the opportunities arising from the EUSDR to help countries fund actions in line with the DRBM Plan in the next six years. Donauhalle, 14:00 to 15:30 on Friday.
- ICPDR information stand: marvel at an exhibition with the award-winning photography by Andre Künzelmann of UFZ, demonstrating the efforts that went into the Joint Danube Survey 3, the biggest river expedition of recent years. Publications by the ICPDR can be obtained here throughout the forum.
- Workshop “Improving Flood Safety: The 1st FRMP for Danube Basin and the synergies and projects of EUSDR PA5 and ICPDR”. Organised by Priority Area 5 (Environmental Risks) in cooperation with the ICPDR, this will feature ICPDR President Drazen Kurecic and Igor Liska of the ICPDR Secretariat. 11:30 to 13:00 on Friday.
- Workshop "Putting synergies into practice: regional initiatives together for sustainable use of local resources": a discussion on past achievements and opportunities for cooperation in the future, attended among others by incoming ICPDR President Petr Kalas and ICPDR Executive Secretary Ivan Zavadsky. 16:00 to 17:30 on Thursday.
- Workshop “Protecting the environment in the Danube Region: integrated horizontal cooperation”. Joint session by Pas 4, 5 and 6 (environmental pillar). With participation of Adam Kovacs of the ICPDR Secretariat; followed by the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the ICPDR and the Carpathian Convention. 14:00 to 15:30 on Thursday.
- Workshop “Sturgeon 2020 – a project to foster horizontal cooperation among all Priority Areas of the EUSDR”. With participation of ICPDR Executive Secretary Ivan Zavadsky. 14:00 to 15:30 on Friday.
- Workshop “Paving the way for joint action in the Danube Region: sharing good practices and identifying synergies in research and innovation support”. With participation of Raimund Mair of the ICPDR Secretariat. 11:30 to 13:00 on Friday.
In general, the 4th Annual Forum will put a strong emphasis on topics such as innovation, professional training and dual education, entrepreneurship and civil society as key factors for a sustainable and integrative growth in the Danube Region.
Several thematic sessions will give the participants of the conference the opportunity to take a closer look at the complex mechanisms that should be put together on a political, project and funding level in order to profit largely of the potential of a macro-regional strategy.
Additionally there will be many networking opportunities and interactive offers like workshops, panel discussions and an exhibition area.